[Tfug] Way OT: optics mumbo jumbo

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Mon Mar 24 15:14:22 MST 2008

> <grin>  When I went to school, I don't think there
>  was any sort of "optics program".  Perhaps just
>  an "area" within the fyzics department...  :<

Heh, well an optics department is a rare thing.. only a handful in the
US, but the University of Rochester Optics department just celebrated
their 75th anniversary and the UofA optical sciences center just
celebrated it's 40th. There is also CREOL in Florida, and beyond that
it is as you said, mostly specialties of Physics degrees.

>  > could remember who and give him credit) was to set a
>  > really long
>  > exposure like 10 to 30 second and then use a
>  > flashlight and walk
>  > around the subject with the flashlight lighting at
>  > different angles.
>

> Makes sense -- though it would probably be more
>  work than I am willing to do (the beauty of digital
>  pix is that I can *quickly* SHOW someone what I
>  would otherwise have to spend considerable time trying
>  to describe unambiguously).  This is especially true
>  as clients often lack the same degree of technical
>  knowledge...

It's not much work.. someone posted a comparison of results in this
thread.. I still think it's pretty nice looking compared to other
options. To be honest, I think it's less work than building a softbox,
but gives a similar effect. Think of it as the same as a softbox, but
where the diffusing of the light happens over a period of time rather
than instantaneously.

>  > This long exposure means you can use a small
>  > aperture and have a long
>  > depth of field and the integration of the moving
>  > light makes for
>  > really nice even illumination.
>  > It's worth trying a few times to get it right (try
>  > with room lights on
>  > or off, etc), but I have been happy with the result.
>

> I imagine it's like those (Sprint?) commercials
>  on TV -- except a still version.

http://heresabunnywithapancakeonitshead.com/

Erm.. but yes, exactly like that? I don't know.

To give a better example, I was trying to photograph my PhD work which
was a miniature microscope. It had some shiney reflective surfaces
with lots of glare much like the slot machine someone was talking
about. It was small enough I needed to use the macro, but then the
depth of focus would be very small making it difficult to get the
whole thing in one shot. So I set the camera on a book (look ma, no
tripod), set the exposure for 10 seconds with a small aperture, and
used a flashlight for illumination. Once the exposure started, I just
moved the flashlight all around from different angles. It worked very
well for reducing shadows and dulling out the glare. I may have also
used a little softbox action via a kleenex or scotch tape on the
flashlight as well, but I don't remember.

Perhaps that can help, but if you are taking shots outside, it may not
be useful unless you have a big light and a cloudy day.

HTH,
JDR