[Tfug] Way OT: optics mumbo jumbo

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 08:46:45 MST 2008

Hi,

--- Jeremy D Rogers <jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu>
wrote:

> I like how Bexley hinted at the presence of "optics
> people" on the

<grin>  When I went to school, I don't think there
was any sort of "optics program".  Perhaps just
an "area" within the fyzics department...  :<

> list.. Here and I have a PhD in optics and I am
> still trying to figure
> out how to get a good picture of my instrument. I
> think others got the
> math right below, but in my experience this kind of
> problem is less
> about the math and more about creativity.
> One suggestion that someone in my program made to me
> once (I wish I
> could remember who and give him credit) was to set a
> really long
> exposure like 10 to 30 second and then use a
> flashlight and walk
> around the subject with the flashlight lighting at
> different angles.

Makes sense -- though it would probably be more
work than I am willing to do (the beauty of digital
pix is that I can *quickly* SHOW someone what I
would otherwise have to spend considerable time trying
to describe unambiguously).  This is especially true
as clients often lack the same degree of technical
knowledge...

> This long exposure means you can use a small
> aperture and have a long
> depth of field and the integration of the moving
> light makes for
> really nice even illumination.
> It's worth trying a few times to get it right (try
> with room lights on
> or off, etc), but I have been happy with the result.

I imagine it's like those (Sprint?) commercials
on TV -- except a still version.