[Tfug] WorldCare "Yard Sale"

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 20:34:44 MST 2008

--- keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If I understood one of the last messages, WorldCare
> gets 2Ghtz duo-core computers and sells them for

No.  I said I haven't seen anything bigger than a
2GHz dual core machine (that I can remember).

They currently have some Dell 1.8GHz P4's for
$89 (not $98) in the store (I am not familiar
with the actual specs thereof)

> $98.  That is a great deal!!  I'm running a 4 year
> old  1Ghz Celeron for my development server and it
> does just great!  I'm thinking I might drop by and
> see about a back up server.

I run a dual 600MHz machine and do 3D modeling on
it -- usefully.  Of course, I am smart about how I do
this (i.e., I don't needlessly render images just
to gratify myself!).  Of course, Joe thinks I am
horribly behind the times and suggests I spend a
three day weekend reinstalling *all* of my software
on a faster machine...  :<  (I wonder how long it
will take to recover those three lost days??)

> And if I understand further, most of this is made
> possible by volunteers?

Yes.  A scant *few* volunteers.  :<  Keep in mind
that we "recycled" over 2 million pounds of goods
last year.  Think about that... that's three tons
on each of the six days a week that we are open!