[Tfug] WorldCare "Yard Sale"

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 20:27:10 MST 2008

--- "Bowie J. Poag" <bpoag at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm not....But i'm not in a "gotta have a beige
> computer" rut either. :)

Note that WorldCare is not in the business of
selling computers, etc.  Their goal is to make
computers (and other recycled goods ranging from
pet food to school supplies to hospital equipment)
available FOR FREE (or close to that) for needy
groups, individuals, etc.

They sell a few computers to pay the utility bills
(a 30,000 sq ft facility takews a sh*tload of
electricity just to light the *hallways* -- not
to mention "do real work").

They also sell computers to folks who aren't likely
to have the resources to be able to afford these
*luxuries* for their kids, etc.

We don't have a lot of staff (volunteer) so we
have to try to balance our monetary needs (keeping
the lights lit) with the needs of the community
locally *and* the worldwide community that we service
(we ship a lot of stuff overseas, south of the border,
etc.).

As a result, we only spend our time working on things
that we can find new use for (i.e., recycling them
directly to new users) *or* that we can find a
suitable buyer for.  Since most of the folks
walking through the doors are looking for Wintel
machines, *that's* what we spend our time on.

Most of the "interesting" machines aren't worth
the effort -- except as curiosities for us
volunteers to play with, etc.  E.g, the VAXen
that come in usually go right to the scrap pile.

And, since these items are all donated, there is
a pretty good chance that most of the stuff
coming in *will* be "beige computers" (sort of like
finding a high percentage of folks who donate
blood regularly -- at a red cross blood drive!  :> )