[Tfug] OT: Proposed increase in H1B visas

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 14:19:42 MST 2008

Yes you are right.  I assumed all of us would find a program that will put some of us out of a job as a bad thing.  I also assumed that is what H1B visas do.

I must admit I am pro labor and find anything that does not build up our workforce as a bad thing.  Instead of importing build from within.

As far as I know the H1V visa is tied to an employer and therefore give the employer complete control over that employee.  Less pay and benefits and more work.  In my opinion this is a bad thing.

American companies want us to buy their products, then employee us!

The article I linked to http://www.cio.com/article/197100/Bill_Would_Double_Cap_on_H_B_Visas/2
 ends with this:

--

"This bill will basically do nothing to stem employers from using the H-1B program as a source of cheap labor and to substitute for American workers," Hira said. "It doesn't require any kind of labor market test -- demonstrating that a shortage actually exists before hiring an H-1B."

The bill doesn't fix "serious problems" in setting wage floors for H-1B workers, Hira added. "No matter how one dresses up this bill, it would do nothing to curb the practice of companies bringing in computer programmers for $12 per hour to displace U.S. workers," he said. "If this bill were to be passed as written, it would do serious damage to the American information technology labor market, displacing many American workers, discouraging the next generation of students from entering the career, and speed up the offshoring of high-wage high-technology jobs."

--

Glen Pfeiffer <glen at thepfeiffers.net> wrote: On 03/17/2008 11:51 AM, keith smith wrote:
> I called her office and complained.  I think everyone on the
> list should do likewise.  Phone: (520) 881-3588.

Isn't that assuming everyone on the list agrees with you? As
diverse as our technical skills are, so are our opinions on
policy.

I am in favor of OT discussions because I learn new things
and get to know the people on the list better. But you did not
state what the problem is. You included facts (good), but did not
include why you think it is a problem (bad). Seems like you are
just rallying for the cause.

--
Glen

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org