[Tfug] OT: Proposed increase in H1B visas

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 13:39:01 MST 2008

I tried viewing you youtube video and got
--
This video or group may contain content that is inappropriate for some users, as flagged by YouTube's user community.
To view this video or group, please verify you are 18 or older by logging in or signing up.

The tech that comes in via an H1B visa is from a sponsored employer.  The "employee" is tied to the employer, as far as I know.  This is bad in 1) wages and benefits will be substandard 2) employee control comes with the "do what I want or be deported".

Form the article, this proposal is not based on fact.  As far as I know  there is no study that supports the need for more H1B visa workers.

I have read some on the subject over the years and find that generally 1) reasonable talent is already HERE, 2) employer's wish to have lower expenses and higher control, 3) some of the earnings are sent out of country to support another country. - this is a one/two punch.  The original job does not go to a local, and not all they money is spent in our economy.

Seems like a less than optimum situation.

To address your question about talent, about 10 years ago I was offered a job with a company that wanted me to hold a position while they completed the H1B visa for an Indian programmer who would have replaced me.  I refused the job!

Seems I was qualified enough to be a place holder.

Chris Hill <ubergeek at ubergeek.tv> wrote: Um, ok, I'll bite on this one. I think this bill is fine. If there is
skilled labor out there, let's use it. I don't see what the problem is.
Are you afraid that someone more skilled is going to come in and take
your jobs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORAyORWRAA

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: