[Tfug] PDF (Book) Reader recs?

Steve lukkystarr at excite.com
Fri Mar 14 21:34:46 MST 2008

Hey Claude,

I happen to have both units you talked about, the Nokia 800 (the model sans keyboard), and I bought the Sony reader for my wife.

On the Nokia I convert everything to html and read it like that.  It reads pdfs, but it is too cumbersome if the pdf isn't formatted for a small screen.  I've tried it both ways, reformatting before converting to pdf, and using the zoom feature.  Neither works well.  Html is easier to convert to, and automatically reformats the text to fit the screen, even after using the zoom feature.  I read my textbooks on it.  the drawback is the screen, which of course is hard to see in the sun.  I used to do audiobooks on an MPIO, but tried them on the Nokia and now I'll never go back.

The Sony reader has the e-ink screen, and it's really easy on the eyes.  It displays pdfs on it's ample screen ok, but again, only if they are formatted correctly, and the zoom feature isn't all that.  If it could display html I would have two in the house.  (The Kindle has the same type screen, and does display html I believe, but I've never seen one in action)  The battery on the Sony lasts a long while, one of the benefits of the e-ink screen.

The downside to both is price.  You can find the Nokia under $200 if you dig a little, but I've not seen the Sony reader below $250.  Also, both take some time reformatting files for display, but it becomes easier once you know exactly what has to be done.  Both have SD card slots, which adds to the versatility.

Hope some of this helps.

Cheers,

Steve