[Tfug] PDF (Book) Reader recs?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 14 14:43:18 MST 2008

Hi all,

So, I'm getting really, really sick of reading PDFs (mostly academic
articles) on my laptop.  It's inflexible, impossible to read outside
in the sun, etc.  (And it's old and the battery charge is shit.)

So I'm thinking of getting some type of book reader.  My first thought
is a Nokia 770 or 800 (while its keyboard is quite attractive, the 810
is beyond the bounds of my graduate student stipend).  The hackability
is, of course, very attractive.  For those of you who have a Nokia,
how well does it function for you as a book reader?  What are the
downsides?

I'm also looking for recommendations of other items that I should look
at.  Note that I'll mostly be using it for PDFs (some very poorly
scanned) and converting to another format is unacceptable.  I don't
care about E-books and DRM isn't a concern either (I've only come
across a couple of protected PDFs and Xpdf can read them just fine).

Thanks!

Claude