[Tfug] Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1 reference material.

Robert Hunter hunter at tfug.org
Wed Mar 12 09:21:31 MST 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 03:10:04PM -0700, keith smith wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestions for a nice simple reference for a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1 (Tikanga).
>
> Looking for information on configuring Apache, and FTP servers.  Do not need to configure Bind or Mail, however that would be nice reference material also.  While SSH is already configure, maybe I should get some info on that also.
>
> I need to reference stuff like how sudo works or how to setup a sudo user.
>
> Basic stuff.  Just a simple howto book to managing a dedicated server from the command line.  I like reading simple stuff.  Online or in book form.

Hi, Kieth.  There is quite a bit of documentation available for those
subjects, both on the web, and in the form of books. I feel that
Oreilly books usually are decent, but I'm one of those people that
rushes out and buys an Oreilly book whenever I get excited about
something.  I reckon I should be a Barnes and Noble Platinum Club
Member by now.

Book fetishes aside, much of the the freely available documentation is
also quite good.  You'll have no trouble finding stuff through Google,
but here are a few recommendations:

The Apache HTTPD project comes with a good amount of documentation,
which will help you get started.  If you are planning an advanced
configuration, then you may want to look for additional materials.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

Oreilly's "SSH: The Definitive Guide" is very good.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sshtdg2/chapter/index.html

Oreilly's Unix CD Bookshelf is a good introduction to Unix tools,
although I would recommend learning bash instead of ksh.

http://cs.mipt.ru/docs/comp/eng/orelly/unix/

Red Hat has a certification program, so I am assuming their
documentation (e.g., the sysadmin guide ) will have a bunch of good
material bundled up in one place.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/cert-system/

Even though you are focused on Red Hat, you may find the Debian
Sysadmin guide useful, too.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/system-administrator/index.html

The Linux Documentation Project has oodles of Howtos, although the
quality varies, and some of them are quite dated.

http://tldp.org/

Finally, don't forget about the documentation that comes with your
system (man or html pages).  E.g., man sudoers should get you going
with sudo.

- --Rob