[Tfug] bacula et ilk

eric christian ericdanc at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jun 29 01:45:00 MST 2008

> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 14:05:52 -0700
> From: "John Karns" <johnkarns at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Tfug] bacula et ilk
> To: bexley401 at yahoo.com, "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > My W2K machine recently suffered a series of hardware
>> > crashes.  After each, I dutifully restored my  most
>> > recent backup and would limp along until the next
>> > crash.
>> >
>> > [I've since traced the problem to a bad memory device
>> > *and* a marginal disk drive.  :<  ]
>> >
>> > Anyway, in those few times when the machine was "up"
>> > enough for me to do some useful work, I noticed that
>> > my "restore" seemed incomplete (or, perhaps the
>> > original *backup* was to blame?).
>> >
>> > E.g., I would have to "re-register" (authorize) programs
>> > that *had* been registered previously.  Certain programs
>> > would complain that there were "necessary files missing",
>> > etc.
>>

> This has been an issue with 'blowz for as long as I can remember.
> I've always used Linux to backup and restore, via an image copy using
> "dd"
Good ol'dd. We used to backup customer data from many a big
insurance/bank etc way back in the 80's. dd's been around awhile,
remember ol'JCL?

//IS198CPY JOB (IS198T30500),'COPY JOB',CLASS=L,MSGCLASS=X
//COPY01   EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSUT1   DD  DSN=OLDFILE,DISP=SHR
//SYSUT2   DD  DSN=NEWFILE,
//           DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE),
//           SPACE=(CYL,(40,5),RLSE),
//           DCB=(LRECL=115,BLKSIZE=1150)
//SYSIN    DD  DUMMY

Eric