[Tfug] bacula et ilk

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 14:05:52 MST 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My W2K machine recently suffered a series of hardware
> crashes.  After each, I dutifully restored my  most
> recent backup and would limp along until the next
> crash.
>
> [I've since traced the problem to a bad memory device
> *and* a marginal disk drive.  :<  ]
>
> Anyway, in those few times when the machine was "up"
> enough for me to do some useful work, I noticed that
> my "restore" seemed incomplete (or, perhaps the
> original *backup* was to blame?).
>
> E.g., I would have to "re-register" (authorize) programs
> that *had* been registered previously.  Certain programs
> would complain that there were "necessary files missing",
> etc.

This has been an issue with 'blowz for as long as I can remember.
I've always used Linux to backup and restore, via an image copy using
"dd".

I'm not certain whether it's the registry that doesn't copy, or if
'blowz is sensitive to absolute / relative file positioning on the
system volume.  Although it's been quite some time since I've done it
(probably with w2k), the method has always worked for me.

--
John