[Tfug] bacula et ilk

Jim G learnix at cox.net
Wed Jun 25 16:23:42 MST 2008

Bexley Hall wrote:
 > Hi, Jimbo!  :>
 >
 > Long sea, no thyme!
 > Yes, using Windows Fu^H^HBackup but I was writing to *tape*
 > (I was under the impression that BKF files were "backups
 > that are stored on *disk*).
 >
 > Problem seems to be that either some things did not get
 > backed up *or* that some things did not get restored.
 > The fact that some programs required "re-authorization"
 > had me suspecting the registry (or parts thereof) were
 > not as they were originally.  But, the fact that other
 > programs did NOT suffer from this problem leaves that
 > an unresolved issue (it is possible that some programs
 > brand the executable while others do it via a registry
 > entry, etc.  <shrug>)
 >
 > The fact that some programs complained of "missing files"
 > leads me to suspect it might be something else entirely.
 >
 > (sigh)
 >
 > As I said, having to reinstall the applications is a
 > nuisance -- but, at least I didn't lose any "original
 > work" in the process (but for a butt-load of *time*
 > lost!).
 >
 > Regards to your wife.  Bang on the door next time you're
 > in the neighborhood!  (Or, is it too hot to run?  :> )
 >
 > --don

Don -

Over the years I have heard that Windows Backup is notorious for this. I
wish I had something to offer, but it does seem as though the registry
doesn't back up correctly. I'm not sure it is still the case, but there
  used to be two (possibly three) copies of it. One from the previous
successful session and one of the current session. I wonder if the
backup contains the previous session registry because the current
registry is protected somehow that does not allow itself to be backed
up? That would explain the "missing files" issue and the need to
overcome it by reinstalling the complaining program - there would
actually be newer, unrecognizable versions of the files.

Running is done with a start around 5:00am this time of year. Even my
looney marathon-running spouse cuts back on it this time of year. I may
try getting back to WC again and hope to catch you there!

Jim