[Tfug] Using Subversion for my home dir

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Tue Jun 24 14:15:34 MST 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 12:49:05AM -0700, Matt Jacob wrote:

>That leaves less than 2G of "changeable" stuff that would be nice to
>have under version control. This is stuff like config files, code,
>documents, etc. This is really what Subversion was made for, and even if
>the repo ends up growing to 5G down the road, big deal. Even at 10G, who
>cares? Disk space is cheap, and I can spare an extra 10 gigs for a good
>cause. :-)

I, too, am intrigued by this process.  But... has anybody who has done this
run into any problems with nested repositories?

For example, right now I have a directory ~/progs under which all my various
code lives.  And much of that code is in *other* repositories.  My Weasel
Reader program is under control of Subversion off Sourceforge's servers.  My
work projects are under CVS or Subversion (depending on age) on my work
server.

But my home dir isn't controlled by anything (yet).  If I were to use, say,
git, then I don't think there would be an issue.  The various CVS and .svn
directories would be just another file.  But what if I were to use Subversion
to control my home dir.  Would the system get confused?

I guess the issue here is that I'd need to use a different VCS from ones I'm
already using to avoid conflicts.  But that would seem to also hinder me in
the future.  If I put $HOME under git, then I probably would run into problems
later if I had a new project that also used git.  Depending on the project, I
use a VCS as much for backup/versioning as I do for sharing and I obviously
don't want to share my home dir with others.

Has anybody else run into this snag?  Is it actually a concern at all?

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.