[Tfug] Using Subversion for my home dir

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Tue Jun 24 00:49:05 MST 2008

Chris Hill wrote:
> This may sound unusual, but this is how i set up my stuff:
>
> All of my 'media' exists on a RAID5 server. This server has a php
> website that allows me to stream music and movies to any computer. This
> is not for public use, its just for me. It dynamically creates .pls
> files which I have set to automatically open into Totem/Amarok on Linux,
> and Winamp on windows. Its slowish off my cable modem but adequate.

That's sort of similar to what I'm doing right now, minus the streaming.
You probably have more media than me, but with only 40G of music, it's
not too difficult to mirror it all onto every machine (even the laptop).
  Except that it would be with Subversion, and this is something that
hit me later on.

My RAIDed fileserver lives at home. Home has 896 kbps of upstream
bandwidth. The initial checkout from home to work would take 6.5 days,
and that's assuming perfect network conditions the entire time. That's
obviously impractical, as is keeping two copies of mostly static large
files. My modified plan, therefore, is something like this...

Keep all the binaries (pictures, music, movies, apps, etc.) together and
occasionally rsync that dir to/from the fileserver. This will take a bit
of human intelligence, but I think I can manage. When I add new pictures
from my laptop, I'll run rsync_push.sh (or whatever). When I want those
pictures on the desktop, I'll run rsync_pull.sh. Since this stuff
doesn't change very often, this seems pretty reasonable.

That leaves less than 2G of "changeable" stuff that would be nice to
have under version control. This is stuff like config files, code,
documents, etc. This is really what Subversion was made for, and even if
the repo ends up growing to 5G down the road, big deal. Even at 10G, who
cares? Disk space is cheap, and I can spare an extra 10 gigs for a good
cause. :-)

I'm gonna try to set some stuff up to play with when I get some spare
time (ha!). I'll let you guys know how it goes, just in case anyone else
out there is as crazy as I am.

Matt