[Tfug] Using Subversion for my home dir

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Jun 24 09:50:19 MST 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 09:34:36AM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Tue Jun 24, 2008 at 08:57:27AM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:

> > > Why is that?
> >
> > You're right. I should have said "except if you want to use git".
>
> Argh! That's not what I meant. I meant, I suppose git could be an
> exception, but I know so little about it so I can't be sure.

Once you get beyond RCS/CVS, anything "new" knows how to handle binary
files properly and fairly easily.  It's just a question of "does it make
sense?", especially since modern SCMs give you two copies locally, in
some form or another.  IMHO, you want to split the task in two:
1. Media
2. Non-binary possibly changable files

In #2 you have all of your homedir, that's not binary stuff (dot files,
mail, etc).  In #1 you have everything else (pictures, music, video,
etc).  I think the best way to solve #1 is a combination of local
network sharing and selective rsync (but this does impose some
restrictions on bringing in new media).

--
Tom Rini