[Tfug] USB bugaboo on Thinkpads

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 13:56:50 MST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Jeremy D Rogers
<jdrogers at northwestern.edu> wrote:
> Ya, that's really good to be aware of. I have done that countless
> times on my t60, and no problems yet. Maybe I've been lucky.

The link I found was to a discussion forum with several people
reporting the problem.  Most of them mention a T42.

http://www.oneafrikan.com/archives/2006/03/03/ibm-t42p-thinkpad-usb-ports-not-working/

I just took another look and other models mentioned are R40 and R50,
but no T60.  Maybe you're in the clear.

Some people report having rid themselves of the problem by disabling
USB power save mode during suspend, another by disconnecting power
adapter and battery.  One reported resoldering connections on the mobo
near the USB connector.  The problem I'm seeing is no access to
connected devices, although the port does seem to be supplying power
to the device.

> Do you happen to have a link or anything from lenovo? I just did a
> quick search and didn't see anything. It'd be great to know exactly
> what models are at risk.
> JDR

My search was far from exhaustive, but I didn't see anything from
Lenovo about it.

--
John