[Tfug] Does anyone use a terminal that doesn't support color?

Ken Steen ken at greenideas.net
Fri Jun 6 22:04:47 MST 2008

> Some "consoles" may still want to work in monochrome.
>
> Color is often overused.  With curses applications, I
> find it easier to stick to the basic attributes
> (STANDOUT, DIM, BLINK etc.) and, if you want to layer color
> *onto* that, then do so in a *logical* manner
> (often, people just use color willy-nilly without thinking
> about how to do so consistently).
>
> Also be aware that color shouldn't be used to convey
> *information* (since a sizeable portion of the population
> is color-blind).
>
> And, if you *do* require color, make sure your application
> behaves gracefully when confronted with a display that does
> NOT support it.
>
> There are many good books that describe how to build a
> user interface that "makes sense" (and isn't just a bunch
> of "stuff" thrown together -- like folks using 5 fonts in
> a publication  :< )

The user interface is actually already in use and isn't going to be
changed.  I am just adding UTF-8 support.  The colors are user
configurable and can be set to just use one foreground color and one
background color if that is what the user wants.  I am just trying to
get an idea if it is still worthwhile to support consoles that cannot
handle color.  I haven't used one since they had them at the UofA main
library and I was wondering if there are any real number of them stll in
use.

Ken