[Tfug] Does anyone use a terminal that doesn't support color?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 17:22:09 MST 2008

--- On Fri, 6/6/08, Ken Steen <ken at greenideas.net> wrote:

> I am working on a small curses application and the code for
> terminals that do not support color needs to be rewritten.
> Since it would
> be much easier to write the code just for terminals that
> support
> basic ncurses colors, I was wondering if anyone still uses
> terminals
> without color support.

Some "consoles" may still want to work in monochrome.

Color is often overused.  With curses applications, I
find it easier to stick to the basic attributes
(STANDOUT, DIM, BLINK etc.) and, if you want to layer color
*onto* that, then do so in a *logical* manner
(often, people just use color willy-nilly without thinking
about how to do so consistently).

Also be aware that color shouldn't be used to convey
*information* (since a sizeable portion of the population
is color-blind).

And, if you *do* require color, make sure your application
behaves gracefully when confronted with a display that does
NOT support it.

There are many good books that describe how to build a
user interface that "makes sense" (and isn't just a bunch
of "stuff" thrown together -- like folks using 5 fonts in
a publication  :< )