[Tfug] Dilemma: Qwest or Comcast?

Matt Jacob m at mattjacob.com
Wed Jun 4 10:13:00 MST 2008

Andrew Ayre wrote:
> My inclination would be to set up wireless Ethernet to get internet
> access in the room that you want. Unless there is a reason for wanting
> it on the second line? Having it on the first line shouldn't interfere
> with voice and fax.

Hey Andy,

I actually have the wireless router configured already, and it works
well with my laptop, but it doesn't do anything for my desktop and two
servers. Good news, though: I followed the second line outside my
building and into the NID at the complex, but I wasn't able to open the
box because I didn't have my tools with me (it appears to be a simple
hex bolt). I plan to go back after work today to see what I can accomplish.

I should also clarify my setup a little. The phone line is used solely
for DSL. I get my home phone service through Vonage, so the line is a
data line only. The second jack (in the office) was installed at some
point between when the complex was built and when I moved in. :-) The
first jack (in the kitchen) was installed when the complex was built.
Management says they're only responsible for the kitchen jack, but I got
the OK to do whatever I need to do to make the other one work (their
words, not mine).

The alternate plan would be to use about 100 feet of telephone wire and
do a run down the hallway and around all the door moldings and stuff.
That would be less than ideal. That's a last resort for me, and plus,
tinkering with the interface box is more fun than taking the easy way
out anyway. :-)

Matt