[Tfug] Accidental extra netbook computer

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 20:15:56 MST 2008

> > Contact the shipper.  *They* have to do the work, not
> you.
> > You shouldn't have to "pay" (time/money)
> for their
> > mistake.
> >
> > When I've been in similar situations, they've
> sent a
> > UPS/FedEx
> > guy out with a box to pick it up (on one occasion, a
> > freight
> > company came out to crate an item).
> >
> > If it is a *private* individual who has mistakenly
> sent
> > something
> > to me, I try to contact them.  Depending on their
> > "attitude",
> > I may take the time to box it up for them and run it
> > the Post
> > Office *if* they send me prepaid postage.  On one
> > occasion, I
> > even drove an item to the original shipper.
> >
> > OTOH, if they act outraged or inconvenienced and
> expect
> > *me* to
> > bust my ass to cover their blunder,
>
> Does this really happen?

Yes!  I had one lady *tell* me that I chould drive it
over to her since she was "only a few miles down the road".
(i.e., in *her* mind, it was just as easy for me to
drive it *to* her as it would be for me to drive it to
the Post Office.)

> If after all that, were anyone to question your motives,
> (even if you kept it) I would call them a dumb ass.

People are amazingly demanding.  I once purchased 5 pounds
of "super colossal shrimp" (i.e. 5 per pound) and a couple
of pounds of crab meat (I stuff the shrimp with crab meat
prior to baking).  When I was told the bill was $22, I just
smiled and said "what's wrong with this picture?".

The owner of the store got all pissy and effectively accused
me of being disreputable.  I just pointed to the 5 pounds of
shrimp ($12/pound, at that time) and the 3 pounds of crab meat
(I think about $7/pound) and *then* pointed at the total on
the cash register.

I got neither an *apology* nor a "Thank You" for catching
his $60 error (in *my* favor)

> > I reward their
> > ungratitude
> > by dropping the item in the trash.  (i.e., *I*
> didn't
> > benefit
> > from the transaction -- removes any opportunity for
> > questioning
> > your motives:
>
> If this were to occur... what a waste that would be.
> Gratituously trashing a new and useful piece of equipment
> designed for FOSS out of some "moral" sense of,
> "At least *I* didn't benefit from it."

Well, for *me* it works quite well.  I never question
whether or not I subconciously/deliberately didn't go
that extra mile just so I could RATIONALIZE keeping
an item for myself.

Of course, *your* moral compass may be set differently...

> All the fossil fuel created millions of years ago who
> perished that ultimately created the plastic used in the
> case... Wasted. All of the brainpower, effort, energy and
> pollution generated to produce the item.... Wasted.

No, all that is "wasted" is the material and energy used to
produce that *one* unit.  And, that assumes you dispose of
it unwisely.

> If in a similar scenario, and the OP were inclined to trash
> the item, I would recommend to donate the item to a charity
> instead. (but not to World Care)

Donate it to a battered woman;s shelter, etc.  WorldCare
gets *thousands* of computers each year.  You're far better
off giving it to someone with an actual *need*.

> > "Was I uncooperaive just so I could *keep* this
> > item for myself?")
>
> GOd forbid!

What do *you* do when a package of *cash* gets delivered
to your front door by mistake?  (I mean thousands of dollars)
What direction does your compass point?

> > I'll confess my tolerance for accommodating
> people's
> > blunders
> > has fallen precipitously in the past decade.  If *you*
> > (shipper)
> > can't be bothered with this item, then *I*
> (unintended
> > recipient)
> > can't be bothereed, either!
> >
> > <shug>
>
> Do you do things where you rely on a team, or largely by
> yourself?

Both.  My products don't see the light of day without a lot
of teamwork.  On the other hand, I have no problem relying
on individuals for their particular talents, unquestioned.
Some things teams just can't do well; other things, individuals
can't do well.