[Tfug] OT windows: need to vent

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:08:48 MST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 3:55 AM, christopher <skeptikos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does any one know how to keep win-effing-blows from
> hanging on mup.sys? Today while moving my laptop hd
> from my pc, which had a LEGITIMATE copy of xp, I found
> it to hang on mup.sys
>
> Of course putting it back into my pc allowed it to boot
> again, so now I feel like I have a really good
> understand of the concept of "defective by design".
> Sh!t you can't even move windows from one system to
> another. BTW, I'm dual booting FBSD and of course it
> handled the migration from pc to laptop just fine.

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but a comment about
the "defective by design" you mention.

On the single machine on which I have a copy of XP installed, I
disabled all updating capabilities, mostly to avoid the trap doors in
the Genuine Advantage stuff that MS tacked on after the initial
release.  I don't really use XP for internet access, so security
updates are not a concern.  Anyway, a side effect of having done this
is to avoid the DRM updates that hide mp3 files in the 'blowz
exploder, at least I've seen XP fail to display mp3 files on a thumb
drive-like mp3 player when connected to a 3rd party's XP box.  Talk
about defective by design ...

--
John