[Tfug] New VoIP Class at Pima

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Fri Jul 25 18:57:49 MST 2008

Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:
> On 10 Jun 2008 at 19:12, George Cohn  wrote:
>
>> [Blatant advertisement for a new Pima Community College Class]
>>
>> After two long years we finally got the Intro to VOIP class on the fall
>> schedule at PCC.  Here's the official description of the class:
>>
>> CRN 15065 CIS 298T8
>>
>> Introduction to the concepts of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) from
>
> I just checked and 26 of 26 places are still available.  Is anyone planning to
> take this class?  I'm interested.

Because the class didn't make the printed catalog and doesn't show up
on-line unless you know what to search for, I guess not too many folks
know about it.

Just to let everyone know, it runs from 08/27 until 12/21 on Wednesday
nights from 5:40 PM until 8:30PM.  It meets 16 times at West Campus.

The focus will be hands on using Linux and the Asterisk application to
build a group of servers and learn about VOIP technology.

The official class description is pretty lame and makes it sound like
it's a future technology but many companies are using it now.  Even PCC
recently began the transition from a traditional pbx to a VOIP phone system.

You will actually get to build systems and network them together as well
as learning about the protocols, QOS, etc.  We need at least 10 people
for the class.  Nothing as prerequisites but a little hands on knowledge
of Linux and networking will be handy.

George Cohn