[Tfug] Stock Linux analog of tip(1)?

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 10:42:47 MST 2008

[sorry, have to discipline myself to edit To: field when replying]

> > What's the *stock* Linux equivalent of tip(1)?
> >
> > No, I'm not interested in add-on packages that
> give tip-like
> > functionality.  :<  Is there a tip equivalent in
> *most*
> > distros?
> >
> > Thx,
> > --don
>
> For years there has existed a terminal program named
> minicom in Linux.
>  I see it is not included by default in Ubuntu probably
> because there
> is little need for it from the masses.  It's a clone of

There is little need "from the masses" for sed(1), tr(1),
etc. yet *they* are (I assume) present!  :>

> the DOS
> program Telix which you may have in the past used to
> connect to BBS
> systems like me.  Minicom is in Ubuntu's main software
> repository
> which make it very simple to add if you're using
> Ubuntu.

You'll note "I'm not interested in ADD-ON packages that give
tip-like functionality"  :>

The point of my question was to see what is present in all
(most) Linux distros that could do this.  E.g., tip is
present in all of the BSD's...

Thx,
--don