[Tfug] Stock Linux analog of tip(1)?

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Sat Jul 19 00:51:06 MST 2008

On Saturday 19 July 2008 00:21, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Yes.  The more significant issue is that it gives you
> a "terminal" that you can attach to a serial line
> (i.e., turn your fancy computer into a VT-100  :> )

Ah.... I understand now. You can use xterm for that general purpose, though
you really need to setup config files before its of much use. By default it
points at the virtual consoles on the local machine, but you can set it to
point at a real serial port, change terminal types, escape keystokes, etc.

There is also x3270 / vt3270 / tn3270 which emulates IBM 3270 terminals and
can be adjusted for other types of terminals. I use to use tn3270 to connect
to a mainframe for a timecard app the company required.

Adrian