[Tfug] monitor resolution

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Thu Jul 17 14:19:06 MST 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 03:29:18PM -0700, Ian McEwen wrote:
> Even when they do create a new tool, as they have here, what's the
> reasoning for then making the old tool unusable? Presumably, the new
> tool is separate from dpkg-reconfigure and doesn't need to remove
> compatibility there in order to be perfectly functional.

Agreed.  Case in point: I was trying to help a colleague set up her
Macbook to print to a networked printer.  OSX is obviously way too
user-friendly for me and I just couldn't figure out how to do it.  But
I knew that Apple's interface was simply a frontend to CUPS.  And I
have fought with the CUPS web interface enough to know what to do.
Fortunately, Apple hadn't seen fit to muck with the default CUPS web
interface.  I pointed the browser at localhost:631 and a few clicks
later, the printer was up and working.

Claude