[Tfug] monitor resolution

Judd Pickell pickell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 15:37:30 MST 2008

> Why mess up a tool that works? I would rather them build new
> tools. Then someone more familiar with Debian could configure
> Ubuntu boxes without learning a new set of tools. Seems utterly
> ridiculous to me.

I guess I misunderstand the  point of your complaint. Surely
dpkg-reconfigure has not always been around. I am betting when dpkg
was originally developed it didn't include such a script. Only later
when they split out the functionality to make it simpler to use, and
understand what you were doing with it, did it come into existence.
Obviously changing how something functions is not a bad thing, you are
just disappointed because it could disrupt your typical expectation of
the system functionality.

Personally the fact that the command had to be called, regardless of
the methodology, at all is the real problem. Not how it was done.
Wouldn't it have made more sense that if the system recognized a new
video card (and/or driver) it would do a resolution reconfigure
automatically?

Sincerely,
Judd Pickell