[Tfug] *Way* OT... :>

euvitudo euvitudo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 21:03:23 MST 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 6:02 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, Phil,
>
> [BTW, did I *meet* you?]

Yes.  WorldCare, a couple Saturdays ago.

BTW, the WYSE Winterm is working great so far... as a proxy.

>> You shouldn't have to restart it, provided there's
>> sufficient rain
>> to fill the barrel and the water doesn't evaporate too
>> quickly.
>
> I.e., as long as the inlet end remains submerged (so the
> water captive in that "riser" doesn't drain out -- lose
> the prime)

Yes.  Evaporation from the tube heating up is
also a factor, but not as much.

>> Once you have the above setup, you shouldn't have to
>> deal with
>> it, except to check that it is still working.  (If the hose
>> is subject to
>> direct sunlight, water will evaporate from the hose, which
>> could
>> force you to have to restart.
>
> I plan on hacking together a PVC assembly that I can just drape
> over the side of each barrel.  Terminate the outlet in a
> threaded connector suitable for a hose attachment.  I.e., the
> parts whose shape/dimensions are critical will be frozen
> while leaving the flexibility of the hose to allow me to
> direct the flow to wherever I want.

Sounds good.

[On a separate note, I used 2" PVC (thick-walled) to build
myself a portable antenna mast for my JPole antenna
(HAM Radio).  It was quite fun actually.]

> THanks!  This is consistent with my (vague) memories.
> I imagine the (small, hand-held) gizmo from my youth was
> "primed" just by submerging the entire assembly (thereby
> ensuring that the entire assembly is filled with water).

You could build one that's small enough.  You could put a
short hose on the intake end, and wrap it around the
bottom of the barrel, so that you could submerge the
whole assembly.

> As a kid, that wouldn't particularly have stood out in
> my mind -- rather, the "wow, it's flowing uphill" would
> be more significant!  :>

:^D

Phil