[Tfug] Reminder: Happy Hour, Thurs @ 6pm

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 00:08:44 MST 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:18 PM, Linux Media <linuxmedia2 at aim.com> wrote:

> Speaking of the meeting... any chance someone can bring a DVD player and
> let me create images from some disks? These are non-copyrighted disks. I
> had Flicko's transfer all my various home movies to DVD, but I don't
> have a DVD player and the CD is built in and to buy an external DVD
> burner would mean buying a USB 2.0 card for the laptop.

Yeah, my new lappy has a DVD burner drive.  I run Ubuntu Hardy and I've got
the normal burner tools associated with that plus DVD-rip; I also have a
cell-signal modem so if we need to apt-get some other tool that's no sweat.

I'll also bring some blank DVDs in case yours choke :).

Also, if you have any hard drive you want stuff dumped to, I carry an
adapter that lets me connect any hard disk (SATA, IDE or laptop-size IDE) to
a USB port.  So you can bring in a drive, I can hook it up and grab images
right off DVD and onto your hard disk.  I have enough CPU power to rip DVDs
straight to AVI or whatever in fairly short order if you want to do data
files rather than disk images.

Jim