[Tfug] Power Problem (slightly OT)

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Tue Jan 22 14:17:22 MST 2008

Choprboy wrote:
<snip>

More info.  There's a power LED towards the bottom of the MOBO.  It's on,
and solid green, which I believe means that the MOBO thinks power is on
and OK.  The user manual isn't real clear on this.  So, I tried the power
button on the front.  No go.  I found a suggestion on-line to remove the
lines to the front-panel power and reset buttons and plug the reset button
into the MOBO power-switch pins.  Didn't help at all.  Tried shorting out
the pins for the power switch.  Nada.  I'm starting to suspect, as you put
it, all the smoke has gone out of the MOBO and I do indeed have a brick on
my hands.

Last ditch desperation - does anyone know if there's a BIOS control on
this thing that might have it locked up, and if so is there some way to
reset it?  I've pulled the power plug several times to no avail.  I see
this beast has an on-board battery - (1) would a dead battery cause all
this mayhem, and (2) if I pull and reset the battery might that reset the
BIOS ROM?

Jim