[Tfug] RDBMS reprise

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 22 10:54:45 MST 2008

Hi, Judd,

--- Judd Pickell <pickell at gmail.com> wrote:

> What if you have the cursor create a temporary table
> to to store the
> query data. There are probably a number of ways to
> do it, and a stored
> procedure would probably work best. As far as I know
> a compiled stored
> procedure is the fastest way to execute a query on
> the server so even
> if it was a large data set, it could be done quickly
> so minimizing

Yes, that was my point.  I have to let the result
table sit on the server (since I don't have the
resources to hold the *entire* result set on the
client -- and the "piece-meal" approaches aren't
atomic)

> server usage. I am not entirely clear if the temp
> table is stored in
> memory or on disk. I guess that would depend on
> which DBMS you are using.
>
> Basically with the temp table, it will be destroyed
> at the end of the
> client session so minimal server resource usage,
> static content, then
> you could implement the bite at a time approach,
> spreading the
> resources across all components (client and server).

Right.  But, even this approach isn't without
peril -- the server itself has bounded resources
so if *this* client lingers in processing and
DROPing the result table, then other clients
will not be able to have *their* requests
satisfied (since they will adopt the same
"store it on the server" strategy)

--don