[Tfug] DVD Writing

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Sat Jan 19 14:38:16 MST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008, at 12:37 pm, Bexley Hall wrote:

> Hi, Rich,
>
> Sorry, confused.  Why is that "meant for computing"?

Sorry: DVD-R/W *was* meant for computing, and + *was* meant for home
DVRs. Again, as I understand it, this just because DVD-R/W is like a
big CD-R/W, and doesn't require any significant changes to the CD-
based drivers. Apparently.

>> speeds, and + goes up in multiples of 2.4x the base
>> DVD speed. -
>> media & drives should be cheaper to manufacture, but
>> + media is
>> (was?) sold at a loss leader to jolly up the market.
>
> But, does the media affect the accessibility of
> the *content*?  I.e. assuming you have an omnipotent
> reader/writer, can you transcribe a VHS movie onto
> a + and a - and view *either* of them on a "home
> DVD player"?

Don't have a "home DVD player", so I never read up on this. The
knowledge that soaked in via osmosis is that DVD+R is most compatible
with newer players, DVD-R is most compatible with older players. I
think both the RW formats trail in joint last place -- but it's a
good last... still very compatible. ymmv

R.