[Tfug] DVD Writing

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 12:37:27 MST 2008

Hi, Rich,

--- Rich <r-lists at studiosprocket.com> wrote:

> As I understand it, "-" flavor is "like a big CD",
> whereas "+" flavor
> is "like an optical removable HD". In other words,
> "-" tracks are
> written in a spiral, "+" tracks are concentric
> rings. + is better at

Ah, hadn't thought of that.  I wonder if the same
is (was) true of CAV vs. CLV "laser video disc"
technology?  It would make sense...

> random access, but - can read and write sequentially
> at faster
> speeds. Further, counter to what you'd expect, + is
> meant for home
> DVR, - is meant for computing. - steps up in integer
> multiples of CD

Sorry, confused.  Why is that "meant for computing"?

> speeds, and + goes up in multiples of 2.4x the base
> DVD speed. -
> media & drives should be cheaper to manufacture, but
> + media is
> (was?) sold at a loss leader to jolly up the market.

But, does the media affect the accessibility of
the *content*?  I.e. assuming you have an omnipotent
reader/writer, can you transcribe a VHS movie onto
a + and a - and view *either* of them on a "home
DVD player"?

--don