[Tfug] DVD Writing

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 14:50:45 MST 2008

Hi,

Sorry for yet another stewpit question but
I'm just not a "consumer"  :<

DVD-alphabet-soup:  It appears the '+'
flavors are "new and improved(?)" updates
of the original "-" varieties.  (I've
googled a bit and see there are notable
differences between who is backing each
technology, etc.).

But, given the ability to write any media,
what *media* is prefered?  My goal here
is mainly transcribing VHS tapes onto
discs to save space.  I gather there is some
difference in which technology various DVD
(video) players can support..?

[aren't standards great?  :< ]

And, what do I need/want to capture video
to transcribe onto discs?  Will I regret
giving up the SGI VWS 320 (with its excellent
video caabilities) or the Beige G3 (with its
unknown video capabilities)?

(sigh) At least this shouldn't be as painful
as transcribing *vinyl* onto CD's...  :<

Thx,
--don