[Tfug] CAT5 cables

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 19:10:36 MST 2008

Hi,

--- johngalt1 <johngalt1 at uswest.net> wrote:

> I won't add more to what the prior posters said
> other than:
>
> I hear it's more accurate to call them 8P8C plugs.

Yeah, but most folks recognize "RJ45" more than
"8P8C".  E.g., "EIA-232-E" is "more proper" than
"RS-232-C" -- though the latter is still almost
universally used in casual conversation.

> (terminology to describe the ends of TP ethernet
> patch cords
> without misusing the RJ45 telephone spec terms- as
> most
> people do) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8P8C
>
> Then again, if you went into a store and asked for
> 8P8C
> plugs, rahter than RJ45s they might not know what
> the hell
> you were talking about.
>
> Anyway use the plugs that have a D profile rather
> than a
> rectangular profile where the cable inserts. This is
> better
> for the outer jacket crimp (round cable) as opposed
> to plugs
> intended for rectangular cross section (silver satin

Ah, OK.  Now I know what you mean.

> style)
> cable. That way, the cable will stay centered in the
> connector and be less likely to stress the wire.
>
> I think George's molded on connector comment
> probably refers
> to the fact that the connector plug is crimped on,
> but the
> strain relief is often molded on for commercially
> produced patch cables.

Understood.

Thanks, *all*.  I'll see if I can get some time
tonight to play with this (once I get the trees
"tucked in" for the night...)

--don