[Tfug] CAT5 cables

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Wed Jan 16 22:06:27 MST 2008

I won't add more to what the prior posters said other than:

I hear it's more accurate to call them 8P8C plugs.
(terminology to describe the ends of TP ethernet patch cords
without misusing the RJ45 telephone spec terms- as most
people do) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8P8C

Then again, if you went into a store and asked for 8P8C
plugs, rahter than RJ45s they might not know what the hell
you were talking about.

Anyway use the plugs that have a D profile rather than a
rectangular profile where the cable inserts. This is better
for the outer jacket crimp (round cable) as opposed to plugs
intended for rectangular cross section (silver satin style)
cable. That way, the cable will stay centered in the
connector and be less likely to stress the wire.

I think George's molded on connector comment probably refers
to the fact that the connector plug is crimped on, but the
strain relief is often molded on for commercially produced
patch cables.

FWIW