[Tfug] Stuph Avaylible Four Sail

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Mon Jan 14 13:02:59 MST 2008

I run some IIi 440s and had a PII 450, both with debian etch, and the BOGO MIPS (for whatever that's worth) were about the same.  The video was a big bottle neck for me.

There were issues with the 2.6 kernel with some of the Sun IIi servers.  I don't know if they have been solved or not but it doesn't seem like it from the sparc list.  That's why I went with 3.1 on the Sun Don is talking about.  I also was too busy at the time to play very much with the Sun.

Earl

"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler
"I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code" Unknown Linux Geek

-- Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
--- Jude Nelson <judecn at gmail.com> wrote:

> UltraSPARC IIs are slower than x86 chips (Pentium
> PRO or better) of
> the same clock rate in my experience.  My Ultra 5
> with a 400 MHz
> UltraSPARC IIi runs (very roughly) at about the same
> speed as a 300
> MHz Pentium II.

Note that the U5 (and U10) are *IDE* machines.
And, Sun's IDE interface is notoriously slow.

I think you would find a (single CPU) U30 at 400MHz
would outperform the U5.

--don

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org