[Tfug] Shameless Parts Trafficking (big list)

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 13:35:44 MST 2008

Hi, Jude,

--- Jude Nelson <judecn at gmail.com> wrote:

> The U1 and U30 seem to have compatible RAM
> boards...I tried installing
> them and OpenBoot reported them.

As a totally UNscientific exercise, I looked
at some Sun DIMMs that were easily accessible.
My note claims they will fit:

SS{10, 20}
U{1, 2, 30, 60}
E{250, 450, 220R, 420R}

And, a different bag of devices claimed:

SS{4, 5}

So, this would *suggest* devices in "group 1"
are interchangeable among those machines and
"group 2" among these OTHER machines.  (Note
that I didn't bother with other/older/newer
machines)  YMMV.

Note that if this is really true (and not the
rantings of a deranged lunatic), you should be
able to pilfer memory from your SS20 as well!

BTW, I have a metric buttload of 64M (5012480)
devices for group 1 machines, if anyone wants
or needs them (note you would need 16 slots
to get a full GB set... they are small  :< )

> Do you know where I can cheaply find some short
> DIMMs for my U5?  I've
> been wanting to max it out to 512 MB (or 1 GB, if it
> will support it
> [the U10 supports it, and the U5 has the same
> motherboard...]), but I
> haven't seen any good deals.

I also found a pair of 370-3798 devices.
These are 128M parts for the U5 (i.e. short)
and U10.  So, a total of 256MB.

I'd be willing to swap them for the SBUS NIC's
in those two machines (recall each machine
already has a single I/F "built in" so you
wouldn't be crippling either of them).

[Actually, you can *have* them, regardless...
I'd just hate to see the machines "freecycled",
posted on Craig's List, eBay, etc. with those
cards still in them -- ditto for the "Leo"
framebuffer :<  ]

Let me know (offlist).  I'm on the East side
of town (Sabino Canyon & Tanque Verde).  But,
I can probably meet you someplace...

--don