[Tfug] OSX

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 11:19:09 MST 2008

Hi,

--- Jim Secan <jim at nwra.com> wrote:

> At 09:56 AM 1/2/2008 -0800, Bexley Hall wrote:
> >I had thought there would be something interesting
> >or worthwhile seeing in OSX (*greatly* improved
> >performance, rock-solid stability, "killer app",
> >etc.) to make it worth "considering".  But, it
> seems
> >like its 6-of-one, half-dozen-of-another.  :-(
>
> If you're serious about this, I'd not base your
> decision on 10.2 running on an old box.  That's
> like making a decision about Linux by putting an
> old Slackware distro on an 80386 box (not quite
> as bad, but you get my drift).

Understood.  I'll try to take a peek at a G4 with
10.4.  I just suspect that the inertia to be overcome
in moving everything to a different platform would
make all but *spectacular* improvements meaningless
(regardless of how often I am told "you can do X
on platform Y", it always turns out that something
doesn't really work right.  I am tired of having to
keep old OS's around for all the things that did *not*
upgrade as advertised!  :< )

> However, if you're happy with your current setup
> using Solaris and BSD and

Hard to be "happy" using Solaris.  :>  But, it gets
the job done and stays out of my way, for the most
part.  The good thing about writing code is that so
much time is spent "writing" that you can elect to
do that *wherever* you find the best "text editting"
tools  :>

> there's not something available only on OS X that
> you gotta have, no sense in changing over.

Agreed.  Thanks for the candor!
--don