[Tfug] Shameless Parts Trafficking (big list)

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 11:13:22 MST 2008

--- Jude Nelson <judecn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/31/07, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com>
> wrote:

[snip]

> > Memory is also not very interchangeable (though
> > there is *some* overlap).
>
> Do you know if the U1 and the U30 use the same type
> of RAM?  I have a
> U30 that I'm keeping, but if no one buys the U1, I'd
> like to max out
> its ram.  Also, do you know if the SS20's RAM is
> compatible?  All
> three have very similar-looking RAM boards.

I'd have to look it up.  I keep RAM sorted (in little
plastic bags) with a Post-It that lists the P/N and
the machines it runs in.  I.e., do the research once
and then tag the parts with the info.

> > The U1 can accept a half height SCA drive (in the
> > bottom slot) and a third height drive in the top
> > slot.  (N.B. the U1 also has other names -- Netra,
> > etc.)  OTOH, the U2 takes a pair of third height
> > drives side by side.
> >
> > U5 and U10 take IDE drives -- the U5 only one
> while
> > the U10 will handle 2 (you can also configure the
> > U10 to automatically do mirroring between the
> > drives!).
>
>Even stranger, my U5 has a UPA socket!  Maybe it was
>once a U10?

Yes, the U5 is just a U10 in a smaller case.
You lose the ability to install a UPA card.
You get just one disk drive (though you could
always pull the floppy or CDROM and use that *space*
for another disk).  And, you have to use "short"
DIMMs (this can be frustrating; the U10 has a greater
variety  of parts that will work, here)

> > The 411 (and 811) cases accept SE 50 pin drives
> > while the 611 accepts SCA drives (but the 611T
> > accepts SE 50's -- even though it has a wide SCSI
> > connector on the back panel!)
>
> Hmmm...if that's the case, I wonder if I can snarf >
one of the drives from the 811 disk enclosure and
> install it in the LCIII?

*Electrically* it will work.  However, the drives
in 811 cases tend to be half-height drives (of
course, there is nothing that *forces* this to be
the case).  And, the LCIII, IIRC, really wants a
third height drive.  I am not even sure if you can
put the cover back on with a half-height drive
installed.  :<  Regardless, I am sure that the
air-flow around a half height drive would make
cooling inefficient.  But, since the LCIII is such
a slow machine, perhaps it wouldn't beat on the
drive enough to make a noticeable thermal difference
(seeks use extra power).

<shrug>  You can always *try* it!  :>  (Note that
the 811 drives are probably strapped for SCSI ID's
3, 2, 1, and 0.  I think the Mac wants to see "0"?)

--don