[Tfug] Virtual Keyboard

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 11:49:38 MST 2008

Hi, Joe,

--- jblais <joe.blais at pti-instruments.com> wrote:

> > In practice, many "widget" implementations don't
> > react to *touches* (key DOWN events) but, rather,
> > actuate on *releases* (key UP events).  And,
> further,
> > they tend to ignore the key UP event if it wasn't
> > immediately preceded by a key DOWN event OF THE
> SAME
> > "key"!  So, user can wipe screen as long as he
> lifts
> > the towel off someplace *other* than where he
> > initially touched the screen...
>
> Right - this is a bit of a problem.  We are using
> wxWidgets, and both in
> Linux (Fedora 5), and Winders, the buttons have a
> tendency to be "debounced"
> (?) too much.  That is, because we are using a touch
> screen, the mouse isn't
> always moving. No touch - no movie! So If you touch

OK.

> a button (leave the
> button) the mouse stays there.  Then if the screen
> is redrawn (?or not? or
> perhaps buttons disabled after the "click" and then
> re-enabled after the
> event, and you touch the same button where the
> "mouse" pointer is already
> at, nothing happens.  So you need to touch another

Hmmm... you should still get a "click" -- mousedown
and mouseup events.

> place, or even touch the
> button, then slide your finger off the button, and
> then back onto the
> button, and then lift your finger in order to get
> the "click" event.

That's odd.  I will check the touchpanel I am using
and see how *it* responds.  So far, I have just been
casually touching things -- I've not tried touching
the same place twice, etc.

> I notced this first with the touch screen on Linux,
> and thought it was an X
> thing, but the same happens, sometimes, on my
> desktop with a real mouse when
> doing the same "action". Is there anything to fix
> that?
>
> Does this happen to any other Linux, or windowing
> environment?

Are you sure the problem isn't in the touchpad itself?
I.e. it should be generating mouse events and the
wxWidgets layer shouldn't know *what* the difference
is.

As a (gross, ugly) *hack*, you could turn off the
cursor/pointer image.  Then, write some code that
hooks the mouse events and always forces the
(now invisible!) mouse to some fixed screen
coordinates -- even *off* screen -- just to ensure
the next "touch" is "different".

--don
--don