[Tfug] system libraries and packages

christopher skeptikos at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 19:10:34 MST 2008

Hopefully this will be a clear enough question. Let's
say I have an old OS. If there is non-system soft-
ware on that system that depends on system libraries
of that OS, how long can I expect updates of that
non-system software not to depend on a newer version
of that system library.

Let me give an example. I run FreeBSD, which is under
continual development. However, if I choose not to
upgrade my system, but continuously update the
packages that run on FreeBSD, will they ever start
expecting to find updated versions of the system
libraries, and if so, how long can I expect to be
able to run the old system before its system
libraries stop meeting dependency requirements.

--
christopher <skeptikos at gmail.com>