[Tfug] Virtual Keyboard

jblais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Mon Feb 18 08:57:38 MST 2008

Don

> > > Did *you* guys play with any of them?
> >
> > regular sized keyboard in front of you, on any
> > surface, even clear glass.  Probably will work on a
> > beer covered bar as well!
>
> Cool!  I assume you can "adjust" the size of the
> keyboard -- to some extent -- based on where you
> position the "projector"?  I.e., if you put a
> couple of *coasters* (sticking with the "bar"
> scenario  :> ) under it?

I haven't played with it that much, but I don't think you can.  I don't know
what programmable controls are available - I haven't read the instructions.

> > or back or side, and it works!  You can hear a
> > slight click sound when typing.
>
> How does it know when you have "pressed" a button?
> Does it watch the tip of your fingers wrt the
> *surface* onto which it is projecting?  Or, does it
> watch the *motion* of your fingers (i.e., just detect
> "sudden stops").

There seem to be 3 "windows" on the thing.  The top one appears to be the
"projection booth" then there's one about 1/3 up from the bottom, and
another just above the very bottom.  My guess is that the lower 2 have
sensors, probably CCD, and all need to focus, or intersect, on the typing
surface.  I wouldn't be too surprised if you couldn't type in "free space",
but then you wouldn't see the places to go to, to get the desired key.  Like
I say, I haven't played much with it.  I was out the day it came in, and I
got to get something else done first.

> Does it deal with multiple key presses?  (e.g.,
> Ctl-Alt-DEL, Shift-J, etc.)

???? I noticed it didn't have all the Function keys.  Insetad it had some
funny "icon" like keys for the top row. I jst didn't think about the
three-fingered salute.

> > I'll be trying it on Linux real soon.  I don't think
> > it will need a driver for USB.
>
> Probably not.  Just a generic HID device.

Joe