[Tfug] DIY Server Components

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 11:18:36 MST 2008

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Jeff Berry <jjberry at email.arizona.edu>
wrote:

> I'm thinking about putting together a simple server for a home network
> and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for what
> brands/models of components (i.e. motherboard, chip set, ethernet card,
> etc.) work well with unix. Are there any that I should stay away from? I
> basically just want something that I can use to host a website and store
> data on, accessible through ssh, sftp, etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff Berry

This is the fun part of Linux, I've set up about 5 of these now... I build
them from parts of junk, but only if I can find documentation on things like
the mobo and hd, and google "problems linux <partModel>". If I get a warm
fuzzy then I start trying the raid setup and getting basic networking going.
After that I kill power, and basically give it hell, add and remove drives
from the mirror, and finally if all goes well it becomes my upgraded home
server. Its no crap, I try my best to nuke it. Anyway I vote for old junk
with good news on google :-)