[Tfug] DIY Server Components

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Mon Feb 11 16:31:20 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Berry" <jjberry>
To: <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:18 PM
Subject: [Tfug] DIY Server Components

> I'm thinking about putting together a simple server for a
> home network
> and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for
> what
> brands/models of components (i.e. motherboard, chip set,
> ethernet card,
> etc.) work well with unix. Are there any that I should
> stay away from? I
> basically just want something that I can use to host a
> website and store
> data on, accessible through ssh, sftp, etc.

Do you have something in mind... a hand-me-down PC for
example? If so, list what kind of components it has and what
distro you may be considering. Stuff people give away might
do those tasks.

Quite a few two to five year old PCs will probably do what
you want nicely. If you want to use something older than
that you may have to be careful about how much of a
distribution you install so as to not top out the resources.
(RAM, HD, etc)