[Tfug] DIY Server Components

christopher skeptikos at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 21:55:46 MST 2008

*warning* I'm not a network admin *warning*

I think it has to do with more of the details.

If you're just tinkering, i.e. one server and like
two to three other hosts, then most anything will be
fine. I've taken an old 800 mHz system, thrown in
some extra nics and been able to use it as a
gateway/file server/web server.

That's about the extent of my experience though, and
here's where my inexperience might be an issue, but
it would seem to me that on a serious network you
shouldn't have your file server act as a your
gateway as well.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone more experienced will
chime in ~ Chris

christopher <skeptikos at gmail.com>