[Tfug] Where to start

christ skeptikos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 20:04:17 MST 2008

Well, I don't think most people on the list would
agree, but I would recommend FreeBSD. I warn you,
it's harder, especially compared to Ubuntu,
but I came into it with no experience
outside of Windows and I wouldn't trade the time it
took to learn for anything. I was patient though,
and not in school, so I could tinker, break and
reinstall a lot, and I did.

Notions like 'devices', and mounting them, are
just bizarre and daunting when you step into this,
but having had to deal with them has allowed me to
do some pretty cool things that a more user-
friendly environment might have shielded me from.

Those are my thoughts, but I would say that linux
might be the better choice simply because more
people use it. The people on this list are very
good at linux, and very few 'noob' questions go
unresolved. You also get very few 'RTFM's', which
is very nice of them.

Chris

--
christ <skeptikos at gmail.com>