[Tfug] Video capture

Don Freeman DFreeman at pagnet.org
Fri Feb 1 15:28:15 MST 2008

Check this out.

http://elliottback.com/wp/archives/2005/12/26/how-to-rip-a-dvd-a-tutorial/

Don W. Freeman, P.E.
Transportation Engineer
Pima Association of Governments
177 N. Church Ave. #405
Tucson AZ 85701
(520) 792-1093 voice
(520) 620-6981 fax

-----Original Message-----
From: tfug-bounces at tfug.org [mailto:tfug-bounces at tfug.org] On Behalf Of
Bexley Hall
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 3:25 PM
To: tfug at tfug.org
Subject: [Tfug] Video capture

Hi,

OK, I've managed to set up a VWS 320 to do video capture.  And some decent
disk space to store the raw video (until I get a faster processor -- or
*second* processor -- in the machine, compressing the video in real-time is
probably not feasible).

But, I have no idea how to get from video to "build a DVD"  :<

When I examine a commercial DVD, I see lots of .VOB files (which, I assume,
hold video encoded in *some* format) and .IFO files, etc.
I suspect there is more to producing a DVD than just copying those files off
of an existing DVD (i.e., creating a DVD from scratch would require more
than just building the equivalent video files, etc.).

Any pointers to a tutorial on how DVDs are encoded?  And, tools for
authoring?

Thanks!
--don

________