[Tfug] Virtualization problem

Matthew Patenaude mnglfiddle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 19:44:25 MST 2008

Well, that was certainly an experience. I got iTunes loaded and everything
looked ok, and synced with my Touch. However, I yielded to the temptation to
try to upgrade the firmware, and almost ended up regretting it. It went to a
point and then failed, and upon failure left the Touch in restore mode,
after which of course I couldn't actually use it. I noticed, however, that
the usb connection was getting lost. It would appear that iTunes itself
unmounts the usb and then remounts it in the process, but can't remount it
in Virtualbox. So I tried sitting there and reconnected every time I saw it
loose the connection with the usb. No success, but I am sure noone is
surprised.

However, later I began to think about my virtualbox settings for the XP
machine, and remembered that there is an option for usb filters. You can
assign a filter to a particular device. I went in and added a filter for the
ipod device shown, and then tried again. This time it worked.

Yes, I not only can sync my Touch, but it is now upgraded to the latest
firmware, using iTunes installed in WinXP, running in VirtualBox! To say the
least, I am very thrilled. :)

Thanks for all your help... you gave me some pointers in the right
direction. :)

Matthew