[Tfug] keeping the FOSS spirit alive on a windows box

Ranjan Grover ranjan.grover at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 19:33:21 MST 2008

> Keeping the debate over the freeness of andLinux and/or VMWare to a minimum,
> I would be curious to know which has the smaller footprint? Has anybody
> tried both? I use VMWare Workstation (which is really neither free nor OSS)

andLinux uses about ~4GB for a bare-bones Ubuntu installation.

> and VirtualBox (which is free and OSS but has lousy USB and bridged network
> support) daily. They both charge a fairly significant tax redeemable in CPU
> and Memory. How light/heavy is andLinux?

My CPU usage on a 2.6GHz core2 processor usually runs at 3 and 5%.
Right now coLinux can't utilize multiple CPU configurations, but
that's on the roadmap, which makes CPU usage even more efficient. The
memory footprint is about 15 MB for the coLinux-daemon. The XMing
Xserver uses < 5MB when idle. I've not used VMWare since about 2003,
so I can't remember it being a real dog then.. hopefully its better
now.

Ranjan