[Tfug] OT: iTouch

Matthew Patenaude mnglfiddle at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 19:08:40 MST 2008

Hey guys!

Have any of you managed to get a iPod Touch working with Ubuntu Intrepid?
The Touch is new and is the 2.2 version, 8gb. I have tried to install iTunes
under Wine, but so far, no success. I have also had problems getting WinXP
to install under Sun xVM or virt-manager/KVM, but that is another issue I am
sure.

The XP installation disk stops rather quickly after stating giving me a blue
screen and a session3_initialization_failed error, in VirtualBox, and in
Virt-manager, it won't even begin the install after creating a new machine,
and I can't even begin to figure out what the deal is there.

I tried to follow some directions related to the error in Virtual Box, but
they all give me a file to edit, but when I get to that file, it doesn't
have the section in it that is supposed to exist according to the
instructions.

Oh well, I then decided to try installing iTunes under Wine, as several
sites and blogs claim success with it. However version 8 doesn't seem to
install, and I can't get any sites to work that host older versions. The
downloads start, but then fail.

So I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this and can help me
out. I have installed all the various things that I can find in Synaptic
that seem to be related. But nothing sees the Touch. When I plug it in,
Ubuntu thinks it is a camera. Older instructions regarding Touches seem to
be related to 1.? releases of the Touch, and I might look into jailbreaking
it but can't even find the software online to do so. What gives?

The Touch is a Christmas present from my wife, and has been very useful to
me, as a PDA, but I would love to be able to put some music on it of my own,
and to be able to delete songs off of it (I have a couple that were put on
here by the man she bought it from as demonstrations - I had no way to
initialize the Touch to start with, so I took it to him to get started). I
can download and install apps using the Touch itself, and surfing the
internet has been easy. So I like it, but really want to be able to access
it with my computer.

Thanks for any help that might be available.
Matthew